Lancaster County is full of communities with peculiar names. This series examines their curious etymology. Next up: Heckel Stettle.
Until well after the Revolutionary War, the area between Lancaster and Manheim was mostly farmland dotted with the occasional grist mill and lime kiln. Around this time in 1789, Peter Gotshall came into possession of 50 acres, which he inherited from his father.
Gotshall, in turn, divided the land into five parcels and, two years later, sold them. One of the buyers was John Wolfe, who, 15 years later, in 1806, sold the property to his brother (or, depending on the source, his nephew. The spelling of Wolfe also varies between sources), Daniel Wolfe.
Over the next six years, Daniel acquired additional land bringing his total holdings to 30 acres. In 1810, he built what is believed to be the oldest brick building in present-day East Petersburg on the corner of State and Lemon streets. Over the years, the structure served has served as a dry goods store, tavern, school, a hotel called “The Captain Lawrence,” a post office, a butcher business, a residence, and finally, the current home of the East Petersburg Historical Society.
In 1812, Wolfe divided 14 acres of his land into 79 building lots. He arranged the lots in a grid-like pattern, with the four streets meeting in the center. This action established a new town. On December 12, 1812, Wolfe sold the lots for $150 each. They sold rapidly despite the ongoing war of 1812.
In honor of the original property owner Peter Gotshall, Wolfe called his new development “Petersburg.” Before this, the area was informally referred to as “Heckel Stettle.” Both are German words. Heckel means hemp or flax processing, while stettle means settlement. Therefore, Heckel Stettle means hemp processing settlement.
Apparently, there wasn’t much money in being a town founder because heavily in debt (and likely to escape creditors). Wolfe moved to Ohio just two years later, in 1814.
Later, when the postal service made efforts to become more efficient, it was discovered that another Petersburg existed in the Commonwealth. Located in central Pennsylvania, this Huntingdon County Petersburg was established in 1795, beating Lancaster’s by 17 years. The easiest way to solve the duplication was to add “East” to our Petersburg. Simply put, East Petersburg is east of Petersburg.
Never miss a new article by signing up for email updates below. Be sure to follow Uncharted Lancaster on Facebook or Instagram for additional exclusive content.
Want to Learn More?
Read about other Lancaster County towns with peculiar names, such as Bird-in-Hand, Blue Ball, Intercourse, and Paradise.
Peculiar Names: Mount Joy
Lancaster County is full of communities with peculiar names. This series examines their curious etymology. Up next: Mount Joy. The town takes its name not from some nearby mountainous peak but from a 17th-century ship that saved the city of Londonderry in Northern Ireland. Click the link to read the full story.
Peculiar Names: Intercourse
Lancaster County has several towns with peculiar names. This series examines their curious etymology. Next up: Intercourse. Stop your giggling! It probably doesn’t mean the first thing that comes to mind. Here are four theories behind the name.
Peculiar Names: Paradise
Lancaster County has several towns with peculiar names. This series examines their curious etymology. Up next: An area named for its beauty. Click here to learn the whole story.
Here’s your chance to purchase a beautiful reproduction map of East Hempfield or Lancaster County.