This small tunnel in Shenks Ferry once supported the load of a narrow-gauge railroad built to transport iron ore from a mine to a furnace near the Susquehanna River.
Constructed between 1864 and 1875 by Clement Brooke Grubb, the tracks ran along the bank of the stream that takes his name, Grubb Run. Few signs remain today. There’s this tunnel and down the trail two stone abutments that once helped support a railroad bridge. This section of the 1875 map of Conestoga Township highlights the railroad, mine, and furnace.
To learn more about Shenk Ferry and it’s history, click here.
Click here for the location of this Shenks Ferry Tunnel