Side Quest: Crawl into this Small Tunnel in Shenks Ferry


This small tunnel in Shenks Ferry once supported the load of a narrow-gauge railroad built to transport iron ore from a mine to a furnace near the Susquehanna River.


Constructed between 1864 and 1875 by Clement Brooke Grubb, the tracks ran along the bank of the stream that takes his name, Grubb Run. Few signs remain today. There’s this tunnel, and down the trail, two stone abutments that once helped support a railroad bridge. This section of the 1875 map of Conestoga Township highlights the railroad, mine, and furnace.

To learn more about Shenk Ferry and its history, click here.

Click here for the location of this Shenks Ferry Tunnel

Never Miss a New Post!

Never miss a new post or article by signing up below and following Uncharted Lancaster on Facebook or Instagram.


Now you can own a beautiful reproduction map of Conestoga Township from 1864 through 1899, home of Shenks Ferry.

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: