On July 4, 1874, Lancaster dedicated the Soldiers and Sailors Monument that stands in the heart of Penn Square. The 43 foot tall Gothic Revival memorial was initially designed to pay tribute to Lancastrian Union soldiers killed during the Civil War. However, today it represents those who have served in all American military conflicts.
Five hand-carved stone figures define the monument. Four men, representing the infantry, navy, artillery, and cavalry, surround the base. The larger-than-life, robed “Genius of Liberty,” replete with body armor, drawn sword and shield, stands atop the pillar facing north.
According to legend, this is a deliberate depiction of turning her back to the Southern states.