Advertisements

A Brief History of Conestoga Township

Conestoga Township was named for the Conestoga River, which in turn was named for a tribe…

Independence comes to Lancaster but not until July 8

In a time before social media, news traveled slowly. Word of the Declaration of Independence's signing…

On this day in 1874, Lancaster dedicated its Soldiers & Sailors Monument

On July 4, 1874, Lancaster dedicated the Soldiers and Sailors Monument that stands in the heart…

Sehner-Ellicott-von Hess House: Home to the surveyor who helped define America

Today, 123 North Prince Street houses the Historic Preservation Trust of Lancaster County, but in the…

Architectural Tour: Safe Harbor Hydroelectric Plant

The area we now call Safe Harbor was important to the Indians and traders of the…

River Guide: Headwaters of the Conestoga

Most people know where the Conestoga River ends. It empties into the Susquehanna directly below Safe…

Who is it that adorns the cupola tower above the former P. Lorillard Co. building on South Prince Street?

Atop the tower of the School District of Lancaster offices sits an unusual weathervane called "The…

Side Quest: Visit one of Lancaster’s oldest structures – Byerland Mennonite Meetinghouse

Most Lancastrians know that the Hans Herr House is the oldest building still standing in the…

Virtual walking tour of the Conestoga Area Historical Society grounds

Take a virtual walking tour of the Conestoga Area Historical Society grounds filled with various buildings…

Side Quest: Conestoga Navigation Company’s Lock #6 in Safe Harbor

Hidden in Conestoga River Park along River Road in Safe Harbor is Lock 6 of the…