The Fall of Billmeyer and the Rise of the White Cliffs of Conoy

Map showing roads and landmarks around Conoy Township, including the Susquehanna River and the town of Billmyer.
The ghost town of Billmeyer from the 1919 Road Map of Lancaster County.

Along the banks of the Susquehanna River in Conoy Township lies one of Lancaster Countyโ€™s most striking industrial relicsโ€”the White Cliffs of Conoy. Towering nearly 30 feet above the river, these pale, otherworldly ridges may appear natural, but they are actually the waste product of over a century of quarrying limestone and dolomite. Their presence marks the edge of a forgotten townโ€”Billmeyer, once a thriving company village and now a ghost of Lancasterโ€™s industrial past.

A view of the White Cliffs of Conoy, featuring a pale, rocky ledge overlooking the Susquehanna River, with trees lining the riverbank and a clear blue sky above.
White Cliffs of Conoy over looking the Susquehanna River.

The story of Billmeyer begins in the 1840s, when local businessman John Haldeman constructed two lime kilns in the area. The pure, calcium-rich limestone quarried here was burned and processed into lime, which was sold to farmers for fertilizer and to builders for plaster and whitewash. As the steel industry expanded in the late 19th century, demand for high-quality limestone soared. By 1896, the operation had changed hands several times and was ultimately acquired by the Wrightsville Lime Company, which soon became the J.E. Baker Companyโ€”named for its founder, John E. Baker.

Black and white photograph of a small, historic town street featuring old wooden buildings, a staircase leading to an upper level, and children seated on the steps.
Billmeyer, a once-bustling community, as it appears near the end of its era. ๐Ÿ“ท: Jeff Mundorf.

The name Billmeyer came from Bakerโ€™s wife, Mary Billmeyer, whose family had ties to the lime industry. Under J.E. Bakerโ€™s leadership, the quarry operation grew significantly. In addition to lime production, the site was expanded to include limestone crushing and later dolomite extraction, supplying raw materials vital to the steel-making process, especially during World War I, when the companyโ€™s โ€œDonegal Dolomiteโ€ was used to line open-hearth steel furnaces. During this period, the stone from Billmeyer helped construct the Shocks Mill Railroad Bridge, a part of the vital Enola Low Grade Line, which was completed in 1905.

As industrial activity ramped up, so did the population. A full-fledged company town took shape around the quarry. By the 1910s and 1920s, Billmeyer was home to more than 700 workers and their families. The village included rows of company-owned housing known as โ€œSociety Row,” a post office, a schoolhouse, a small chapel, a boarding house, and a general store operated by a local Bainbridge merchant. A train stop connected the town to the regional rail network.

Aerial view of the White Cliffs of Conoy and the former town of Billmeyer, showing the Susquehanna River and surrounding fields, with Route 441 labeled.
Aerial Photograph from May 1940.

The workforce at Billmeyer was remarkably diverse, with European immigrants, African American laborers from the South, and regional workers all living and working together. Conditions were rough. The work was dangerous, dirty, and underpaid. Yet for many, it was steady employment. Billmeyer earned a reputation as a โ€œhard-livingโ€ townโ€”rowdy on paydays and spirited in character.

The town was not without tragedy. During the 1918 influenza epidemic, Billmeyer was quarantined. Trains would no longer stop, and supplies had to be thrown from moving cars. Still, the village recovered, and by 1927, the quarry had expanded to include 10 pot kilns and 62 flame kilns. Stone from the site was even used in the construction of the Columbia-Wrightsville Bridge, completed in 1930.

An abandoned, rusted car partially covered in leaves and surrounded by overgrown vegetation in a wooded area.
Rusted out car at Billmeyer.

However, by the 1940s, the demand for dolomite declined. Quarry activity slowed, and Billmeyer entered a long, quiet decline. By 1954, only 40 men remained on-site. Mining operations ceased entirely in 1957, and when the quarry pumps were shut off in 1961, the massive pit filled with over 70 feet of water. The remaining buildings deteriorated and were finally demolished in 2007. Today, little more than scattered foundations remain among the undergrowth. A portion of the old townโ€™s main street now serves as part of the Northwest Lancaster County River Trail.

Just north of the old village lies what many now come to seeโ€”the White Cliffs of Conoy. Composed of quarry waste dumped over the years along the riverbank, the material has bleached and compacted into a ghostly white escarpment. With sweeping views of the Susquehanna and a chalky, lunar appearance, the cliffs serve as a visual reminder of Lancaster Countyโ€™s industrial pastโ€”and a monument to a town that once stood where nature now remains.

Where To Go

The White Cliffs of Conoy and the former site of Billmeyer are accessible via the Northwest Lancaster County River Trail.

The cliffs lie approximately 1.5 miles south of Koser Park in Bainbridge or 3 miles north of Riverfront Park in Marietta. The trail is paved and suitable for walking or biking. Use caution near the cliffs, which are made of loose, eroded quarry waste. Some industrial debris remains, and while the site is safe to visit, caution and common sense are advised, especially near the edges and among the ruins. For best visibility and footing, visit in cooler months or early morning before the trail becomes hot or crowded.

Billmeyer, PA: The Story of Lancaster County’s Abandoned Town Video

A look at Billmeyer’s thriving past and eventual abandonment in the brief video from LNP.


Never Miss a New Post

Never miss a new article by signing up for email updates. Follow Uncharted Lancaster on Facebook or Instagram for additional exclusive content.


Resources


Discover more from Uncharted Lancaster

Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.

Leave a Reply

Discover more from Uncharted Lancaster

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Continue reading