This painting by Richard G. Hess shows how the Sehner-Ellicott-von Hess House at 123 N Prince Street in Lancaster likely looked in the late 1700s. The most significant difference between today and the painting is not the building but the land surrounding it.
A Brief History
Gottlieb Sehner built this 2.5 story Georgian townhouse between 1787 and 1789 and served as his private home. Sehner was a master carpenter and second-generation Lancasterian.
Sehner lived here with his wife Sabina, his widowed mother, an unmarried brother, and, depending on their birth and death dates, between four and six children. When Sehner died in 1799, he had outstanding debts. To make ends meet, Sabina rented out the home to Major Andrew Ellicott, the building’s most famous occupant. Click here to read more about Andrew Ellicott and his impact on American history.
Today the building is home to the Historic Preservation Trust of Lancaster County. The Trust uses a variety of methods to encourage and facilitate preservation throughout Lancaster County that goes beyond merely keeping important buildings from being torn down.
Purchase the Print
You can purchase an 11″x17″ print of the Richard G. Hess’ Sehner-Ellicott von Hess House watercolor from the Trust. Click here to ordering details.