Here is the history of Martic Township as recorded in the 1875 Historical Atlas of Lancaster County. A few minor edits have been made, mostly for readability plus adding images from sources outside of the Atlas.
1875 Historical Atlas of Lancaster County
The 1875 Historical Atlas of Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, was compiled by the famous cartographer and atlas maker, Major L. H. Everts of Geneva, Illinois.
The township of Martic was originally organized under the name of Martock, and was among the first legally established townships in the County. The organization was ratified in 1730, and some alterations have been effected whereby it has been somewhat lessened in area. The present boundaries are North by Pequea Township, northeast by Providence, east and southeast by Drumore, south and west by the Susquehanna Myer, northwest by Conestoga. The present area is 31,542; the population in 1860 was 1,701.
In 1870 it had augmented to 1926, of which 1879 were native born and 47 foreign; 1839 white and 87 colored. There were in the township, in 1860, 484 taxables ; in 1870, 496 ; value of real and personal property in 1860, $276,506 ; in 1870, $628,493. There are in the township four grist and six sawmills, one forge, five hotels, six stores, eight common schools, and six churches,—four Methodist, one Presbyterian, and one Seceder.
The principal stream is the Pequea Creek, which traverses the township in a southwesterly course along the northern boundary. Muddy Creek, quite a considerable water-course, flows along the southeastern boundary of the township, and the Tacquan Creek runs through it centrally.
The most important settlement is Marticville, a village situated in the northeast extremity of the township, nine miles south from Lancaster, and which was for many years known as Frog Town Post-office. The change in name occurred about forty-five years ago. Marticville contains about one hundred inhabitants, two general stores, one blacksmith shop, one wagon shop, one shoe store, one cigar manufactory, one graded school, one Methodist Episcopal church, and a good hotel. There is a resident physician here. Among the earliest and most prominent citizens of the place might be mentioned the Huber family, George Warfel, Emanuel Hare, the Goods, Abraham Miller.
The post-office has been kept by Henry Huber for the past quarter of a century. There are three other settlements and post-offices in the township, viz., Mount Nebo, Bethesda, and Rawlinsville. The latter is perhaps the largest, containing two general stores, two hotels, one shoe store, an Odd-Fellows’ hall, a school, and a Methodist Episcopal church. The Postmaster is Elias Aument.
The present incumbent in the post-office at Mount Nebo is Alexander L. Pegan; that of Bethesda is James H. Pegan. It is a historical fact connected with the Pegan family that several of its members have occupied the various post-offices in the township more years than any other, and have generally given satisfaction in that important position.
The land in Martic is generally hilly, its river scenery very picturesque and beautiful, particularly in the vicinity of McCall’s Ferry. The soil is a rich limestone, and extremely fertile and productive. Many large quarries are operated in the township, and a large quantity of lime is manufactured annually. The productions of the soil include all the cereals, and many of the best varieties of fruits.
Among the most prominent farmers of the township are David B. Eshleman, John J. Good, Joseph Huber, Thomas E. Amdler, John Horner, ThomaS Stewart, John Campbell, John Arm-strong, Eli Eshleman, and many others.
Owing to the fact that Martic was early settled by an industrious and enterprising class of citizens, it has been prospered both in its agricultural and general business interests. It is in every respect one of the representative townships of the County, and will, doubtless, continue to increase and prosper in the future as it has done in the past.