What connection does King George, Queen Caroline, the Prince of Wales, and the Duke of York have to the city of Lancaster?
While you think about it, here’s some context. Lancaster County was erected on May 10, 1729. Shortly after, through some excellent political maneuvering, James Hamilton’s father purchased a large tract of land that soon became home to the future Lancaster City.
Hamilton began laying out plans for a village in 1734 on the site of what had been called Hickory Town. Within two years, Lancaster Townstead (as it was then known) was well-established.
In an attempt to demonstrate his loyalty to the crown and perhaps gain royal favor, Hamilton began to name his streets after the English monarchy.
The main east-west street, called initially High Street, became King George Street. The principle north-south road honored his bride, Queen Caroline. One block to the West was Prince of Wales Street, and one block to the east was Duke of York Street.
Some believe that Orange Street was named to recognize the royal house of King William III; however, there is little evidence to support that theory. Instead, the English had a tradition of naming streets after trees, nuts, berries, vines, and fruits. As such, Hamilton surrounded the royal avenues with Chestnut, Lime, Lemon, Vine, and Orange Streets. Orange is most likely a reference to the fruit and not the royal house.
Lancastrians stopped using the old English names long before the start of the American Revolution, and those streets simply became King, Queen, Duke, and Prince as they are known today.
Red Rose City
Originally called Hickory Town, the city was renamed after the English city of Lancaster by native John Wright. Its symbol, the red rose, is from the House of Lancaster.